Ms. Hutchinson is a partner with Guercio and Guercio, LLP, and advises school districts in general counsel, special education and labor matters. Ms. Hutchinson received her B.A. degree from the State University of New York at Albany in 1992 and her J.D. in 1995 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She is admitted to practice in all New York State Courts and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Hutchinson was a prosecutor with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office and worked as an attorney for the New York City Board of Education. She currently defends school districts in Special Education Impartial Hearings, in matters before the Commissioner of Education and the Office of State Review. She also represents school districts in labor negotiations and in various administrative tribunals including the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, the EEOC and New York State Division of Human Rights. Ms. Hutchinson regularly prosecutes Civil Service Law §75 and Education Law §3020-a employee disciplinary matters on behalf of school districts. She frequently lectures on special education and student discipline issues. Ms. Hutchinson is a member of the New York State Bar Association, the Amistad Long Island Bar Association, and the Suffolk County Bar Association, where she is a member of the Education Law and Employment and Labor Law Committees. Ms. Hutchinson was recently appointed by the New York State Court of Appeals as a trustee to the Lawyer's Fund for Client Protection.
Areas of Practice:
- New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1995
- State University of New York, Albany, NY, 1992
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New York State Bar Association
- New York Metropolitan Bar Association
- Suffolk County Bar Association Member
- Amistad Long Island Black Bar Association Member
News & Publications:
- Legal Updates related to COVID-19, the Open Meetings Law, Student Discipline, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Employment, and School Funding, Presentation to LIASCD, March, 2022
- Legal Updates Affecting School Districts, Presentation to LIASCD, October 2022
- Public and Nonpublic Schools-Legal Relationships and Obligations, Presentation to NYSSBA, October 2022.